Thursday, October 11, 2007

Honey, We're Killing the ... World

I saw an episode of Oprah where they were speaking about the show, "Honey, We're Killing the Kids." And they were talking about how they are seeing patients in their mid-twenties and beyond with these fat-related problems. Diabetes, knee problems, back problems, etc... All of these problems from just carrying all that fat around. Sadly enough, I realize I'm one of these persons, but without health care, which I don't have right now, I'm not able to see a doctor. And if I was able to see a doctor, with the lack of preventative care in this country, they'd probably give me a pill.

If you haven't seen Sicko by Michael Moore, I urge you to. I saw the doc and afterwards, I was literally mute. My dad had been bitten by a snake a few days before and the hospital told him that anti-venom would not be covered by his health insurance or Medicare, and that a single vile of the anti venom was $10,000 and that they would start with 2 vials and could use as many as 9. So, they pumped him full of anti-inflammatories and other assorted drugs and after 3 weeks, the toxins in his body regenerated (supposed some snake poisons do this) and tried to kill him again and his whole arm was swollen like he'd just been bitten. Which could have been prevented by the anti-venom. Which he could have received in another country. Yes, I understand that they pay exorbitant taxes, but look at what gains they reap from those taxes.

Sorry, my train of thought derailed a little but the condition of health care in this country is ridiculous. I was talking with a person in a bookstore a couple of days ago, and we agreed that Oklahoma City is playing at being a "city" and in the same context, America is playing at being the world's greatest country. We have all of the resources, but none of the execution.

No comments: